What is Micro-needling?
Micro-needling is a cosmetic treatment that uses the healing power of platelets found in our blood to rejuvenate the skin.
During the Micro-needling facial procedure, a small amount of the patient’s blood is drawn and spun in a centrifuge to separate the platelets from the rest of the blood components. The resulting platelets are injected into the skin or applied topically, depending on the patient’s needs. The platelets contain growth factors that stimulate the production of collagen, which helps to improve skin texture and tone, reduce fine lines and wrinkles, and promote overall skin rejuvenation.
In the following sections, we’ll explore what micro-needling is and the procedure for Micro-needling. The benefits of a micro-needling facial, who is a good candidate for a micro-needling facial, how it compares to other facial treatments, and the possible side effects and risks of a micro-needling facial.
Micro-needling contains platelets, growth factors, and other beneficial proteins extracted from a patient’s blood. It is a yellowish, straw-colored fluid with a high concentration of platelets, a type of blood cell that plays a crucial role in the body’s natural healing process.
Micro-needling is obtained through a simple blood drawn from the patient. The blood is then processed in a centrifuge machine to separate the platelets from the rest of the blood components. Once isolated, micro-needling can be used in various medical and cosmetic applications, including micro-needling facials.
The benefits of micro-needling are primarily due to the growth factors and other bioactive molecules present in the platelets. These growth factors are responsible for promoting tissue repair and regeneration, and they can stimulate the production of collagen and elastin in the skin. Some of the benefits of micro-needling include the following:
- Improved skin texture and tone: The growth factors in micro-needling can help to stimulate the production of new collagen and elastin, which can improve the surface and style of the skin.
- Reduction of fine lines and wrinkles: micro-needling can help to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles by promoting the production of collagen and elastin.
- Improved skin elasticity and firmness: micro-needling can help improve the skin’s elasticity and firmness by promoting collagen production.
- Reduced appearance of acne scars and hyperpigmentation: micro-needling can help to reduce the appearance of acne scars and hyperpigmentation by promoting the growth of new, healthy skin cells.
- Overall skin rejuvenation: micro-needling can help to rejuvenate the skin by promoting the growth of new, healthy skin cells and improving skin texture, tone, elasticity, and firmness.
In addition to these benefits, micro-needling is a safe and natural treatment option that utilizes the patient’s blood, making it a low-risk choice for cosmetic and medical applications.
The micro-needling facial is a minimally invasive cosmetic procedure that takes about an hour to complete. Here’s a breakdown of what to expect during the micro-needling facial process:
- Your healthcare provider will perform a comprehensive skin analysis to determine the best approach for your skin type and condition.
- You may be asked to stop taking blood thinners or anti-inflammatory medications in the days leading up to the procedure.
- The provider will draw a small amount of blood from your arm, typically around 20-30 ml.
The steps of the procedure:
- The provider will use a centrifuge machine to spin the blood sample, separating the micro-needling from the other blood components.
- The provider may use micro-needling to create tiny channels in your skin, which will help the micro-needling to penetrate more deeply into your skin.
- The provider will then topically apply the micro to your skin, inject it, or both.
- You may experience mild discomfort during the procedure, but it is generally well-tolerated.
- You may experience some redness, swelling, or bruising at the injection site, but this should subside within a few days.
- You will be instructed to avoid sun exposure, hot showers, and strenuous exercise for at least 24 hours following the procedure.
- You should also avoid applying makeup or other skincare products to the treated area for at least 24 hours.
- You may need to return for follow-up appointments to monitor your progress and receive additional treatments.
Who is a Good Candidate?
Good candidates for micro-needling facial:
- Individuals with fine lines, wrinkles, or other signs of aging on the face, neck, or décolletage.
- Individuals with acne scars or different types of scarring on the front.
- Individuals with hyperpigmentation or uneven skin tone.
- Individuals who are looking for a natural, minimally invasive cosmetic treatment option.
- Individuals who are generally healthy and have realistic expectations for the procedure’s outcome.
Skin conditions that can benefit from micro-needling facials:
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Acne scars
- Sun damage
- Uneven skin tone
- Dull or dehydrated skin
- Loss of elasticity and firmness
- Enlarged pores
- Stretch marks
Individuals who may not be good candidates for micro-needling facials include:
- Those with a history of blood disorders or bleeding disorders.
- Those with an active skin infection or skin cancer.
- Those who are currently pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Those who have a history of poor wound healing or keloid scarring.
- Those who are taking blood thinners or have a bleeding disorder.
Micro-needling facial vs. other facial treatments
Micro-needling facial vs. chemical peels: Chemical peels involve applying a chemical solution to the skin, which causes the outer layers of the skin to peel away. This can improve the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, and hyperpigmentation. However, chemical peels can be harsh and cause redness, irritation, and sensitivity. On the other hand, micro-needling facial uses the body’s growth factors to stimulate collagen production, which can improve skin texture and tone without the harsh side effects of chemical peels.
- Micro-needling facial vs. microdermabrasion: Microdermabrasion involves using a specialized tool to remove the outer layer of dead skin cells, which can improve the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, and uneven skin tone. However, microdermabrasion can be abrasive and can cause redness and sensitivity. Micro needling facial is a gentler, less abrasive treatment that uses the body’s growth factors to stimulate collagen production and improve skin texture and tone.
- Micro-needling facial vs. Botox: Botox is a popular cosmetic treatment that involves injecting a neurotoxin into the facial muscles to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. While Botox can effectively smooth wrinkles, it does not address other skin concerns, such as hyperpigmentation or skin texture. On the other hand, can handle a variety of skin concerns, including fine lines, wrinkles, hyperpigmentation, and dull skin.
Advantages of micro-needling facial over other treatments:
- Micro-needling facial uses the body’s growth factors, making it a natural and safe treatment option.
- A micro-needling facial can improve a variety of skin concerns, including fine lines, wrinkles, hyperpigmentation, and dull skin.
- The micro-needling facial is a minimally invasive treatment that does not require downtime.
- Micro-needling facials can improve skin texture and tone without the harsh side effects of other treatments.
Side Effects & Risks
The micro-needling facial is generally considered a safe and low-risk procedure, but as with any medical treatment, there are some potential side effects and risks.
Common side effects of micro-needling facial may include:
- Redness and swelling at the injection site
- Bruising or discoloration
- Mild discomfort or pain
- Itching or tingling sensations
These side effects are typically mild and should resolve within a few days to a week after the procedure. However, in rare cases, some patients may experience more severe side effects, such as infection or allergic reactions.
Risks and complications of micro-needling facial may include:
- Infection at the injection site
- Allergic reaction to the micro-needling solution
- Nerve damage or injury
- Scarring or skin discoloration
- Formation of small lumps or nodules at the injection site
To minimize the risk of these complications, choosing a qualified healthcare provider with experience and training in micro-needling facial procedures is essential. Your provider should also carefully evaluate your medical history and skin condition before recommending a micro-needling facial.
If you experience any unusual symptoms or side effects after a micro-needling facial, such as fever, severe pain, or signs of infection, you should contact your healthcare provider immediately. In addition, following your provider’s post-procedure instructions is essential to minimize the risk of complications and ensure a safe and successful outcome.
In conclusion, a micro-needling facial is an innovative and minimally invasive treatment that can offer several benefits for patients with various skin concerns. Using the body’s growth factors, a micro-needling facial can stimulate collagen production and improve skin texture, tone, and overall appearance.
While micro-needling facial is generally considered safe and low risk, it is essential to be aware of the potential side effects and risks, including infection, nerve damage, and allergic reaction. Therefore, patients should choose a qualified healthcare provider with experience and training in micro-nedling facial procedures to minimize the risk of complications and ensure a safe and successful outcome.
Overall, a micro-needling facial can be an excellent treatment option for patients looking for a natural, minimally invasive way to improve the appearance of their skin. However, having realistic expectations and working closely with your healthcare provider to develop a treatment plan tailored to your individual needs and goals is essential.
If you are considering micro-needling facial, we recommend you speak with our qualified provider who can answer your questions and help you determine if this treatment is right for you. With proper care and attention, micro-needling facials can be a safe and effective way to achieve a more youthful, vibrant complexion. Book a consultation with us.